Banner Animation

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Grand Canyon to Prescott Valley

We headed out to the Grand Canyon pretty much the same way we came into Las Vegas only this time over the Freedom Bridge. Past the Hoover Dam and along I40 cutting off and taking Highway 66. The most iconic road in America. Through lots of funky little towns that unfortunately were dying.
 Then back on the highway for what seemed like forever until the turn off into the Grand Canyon Rd into the Kaibab National Forest and Hwy 64. By the time we pulled into the BLM spot we had found for the night it was pitch black.

 And of course they were burning slash just up the road so when we woke the next morning the RV smelt like an old campfire.

Next morning up early and into Canyon Village for Tyler’s birthday present.

We flew over the Grand Canyon on a earlier flight with Papillon Helicopters. It was beautiful and very impressive.

 The only thing I wish they would have turned the music down or picked a not so boom-boom classical tune.

The Canyon was incredible and it was interesting that even flying at 120mph it took us about 15 min to cross.
Tyler loved the heli flight and unfortunately they stuck him in the center seat (something about weight distribution)so he did not get to see as much. So I took lots of photos for him.

Having gotten an earlier flight meant that we had a lot more time to walk the rim trail of about 4km from the visitor center to the railway station.

Caught the shuttle bag to Furgy (the RV) and headed back to Route 66 to check out a town called Seligman.

We RV’ed behind the OK Corral and just had to go for lunch at the Roadkill Cafe. Cool old place. Ended staying for 2 days so we could check the place out.
Our wonderful goth bartender showing off.

Had cocktails at the Black Cat lounge and Tyler beat me at pool 3 out of 4 games........ok I sewer-ed a few times but it was still fun to chat up the locals and let our hair down for an evening. Then off to Salome AZ to visit my friends Rick and Polly.

We were able to park at a friend of theirs, in the same RV park which was perfect. Thanks so much Sharon for the use of your lot and the shower. We had 2 dinners with the Pizzi’s and spent a day wandering around the back hills looking for rocks..... I love rocks.
Hands full of rocks.

Tyler filled his pockets and me my hands and after cleaning them I will have fun making pendants and bracelets with them. Going to try to resin coat a few. Out in the desert we saw many different cactus (Tyler even got one through his shoe), lots of birds and the funnest was the little lizards scurrying around.
Thorn stuck right through Tyler's runner.

One even stopped for a photo shoot.
Can you find the lizard?

On the way to Rick and Polly’s we traveled through a place called Skull Valley that we thought was interesting. Heading back up that way and after stopping in Wickenburg for groceries head back up into the mountains to Yarnell. Found a very inexpensive RV park ($25) to stay the night and thought we would wander here for a day or two. As almost everything was (is) closed up in Yarnell we headed to the Legion Post 79 just in time to enjoy a few beers and be there for Taco Tuesday. Very busy spot with lots of locals to tell us all about their town and area.
So here we are again with no wifi to download to the blog and having a ball. After Yarnell we drove to Prescot Valley and stayed a night in the Willow Park RV Park.
Prescott Valley

It gave us time to do laundry and shower and we had hoped catch up on the downloads and blog. Not a chance.

The wifi wandered in and out. We almost lost our cat Sam. The little bum managed to open the small window at the top bunk and go wondering for the night. Really scared us and we were prepared to stay another day or two to look for him. But 6am and he meowed at the door wanting to come in. He must have had quite the night as he slept for most of the time during the next 3 days. We will really have to watch them from now on.

 Jan 18th Thursday. Having both kitties back safe and sound we headed out to Skull Valley, 5 miles in off the highway on the roughest washboard road I have seen in a long time.
360 of Skull Valley above out camp.
Everything wound up on the floor, even the mustard lost its cap in the fridge. What a mess. Then to top it all off a branch came off the tree we were parked next to in the wind and smashed the sky light and the cover for the refrigerator.
Not happy about me taking a bum shot.

We managed to get the branch down and moved to a safer spot away from the tall trees. After the clean up and plasticizing a garbage bag over the skylight we sat relaxed in the sun... and wouldn’t you know it I got a little sunburnt. +16 deg C (60F). The next day we woke to wind, rain and cold inclement weather so stayed pretty close to home.

With all the excitement of the last 2 days nether one of us was feeling up to snuff and just enjoyed laying around and snoozing.... Then the next morning we woke to quite the surprise; it had snowed about 3-4” over night and 11 deg F (-11C). But we were toasty and warm and luckily the water did not freeze.
Tyler removing snow off the damaged sky lights plastic bag.

 Another day of staying close to home with a short walk in the afternoon. Sunday we decided we just had to check out the local brewery only 2 miles from our camp site.

The Barnstar Brewery was a blast. We sampled a few of the 12 beers they make and chatted to everyone that came through the door. It was busy and friendly and the owners warm and inviting.

 A tour of the brewery grounds, bratwurst and sauerkraut, (Tyler had the home made pulled pork)for lunch. We had a great time and thankfully a local couple gave us a ride back to the RV as it was dark and getting cold when they finally closed for the day. Having such a great spot to camp has been wonderful. We ended up 6 nights at the triangle spot on FSR 102. Watched the birds, deer and a few local dogs come to check us out. We hiked, visited with many of the locals and had a few pint of some pretty darn good beer. It made up for the missing cat, broken skylight and sunburnt day.

No comments:

Post a Comment